- Google has shared the top 10 trending searches from each year of the past decade.
- Google puts out an annual list of the search terms that saw spikes in traffic for a sustained period during the year.
- It also recently announced the top searches of 2019, and “Disney Plus” topped the list.
- Since 2010, Google’s top searches lists have included celebrity deaths, major news events, and key moments in pop culture.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
As 2019 — and another decade — comes to a close, Google has shared the top trending searches of the past 10 years.
These are the people, places, things, and news events that saw the biggest spikes in traffic for a continuous period of time compared to the previous year, providing a glimpse into the topics that dominated the public interest over the past decade.
The 2010s brought the tragic deaths of celebrities like Whitney Houston, Robin Williams, and Paul Walker, major news events included Hurricane Irma and the trial of Casey Anthony, and two FIFA World Cups. Nearly every year, a hurricane dominated the search terms.
Here’s a look back at the top 10 trending Google searches from each year of the past decade.